Larry Colen wrote:
A friend sent me a note that she really wanted a print of one of my
snake and skull photos for her daughter, so I worked it up and sent her
a copy of the file to print:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/29744792311/in/album-72157674075743956/

She thanked me, and without my asking for it, sent me some money, which
was appreciated. She also mentioned that the unemployed graphic artist
she had sitting around the house had "punched it up" a bit at her
request by using levels. I could see the aesthetics in what they were
going for, but felt that with the proper tools (lightroom adjustment
brush used on the raw file) it could be done a bit better.

This is my version post "making the snake pop more"
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/29222522194/in/album-72157674075743956/

Here's one with the yellow dialed down.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/29814806386/in/album-72157674075743956/

in short, I boosted the saturation and a little color balance on the
stripes, and decreased the saturation and tonality of the skull, and
deepened some of the shadows a bit.

I'd appreciate some critique comparing the two versions, which works, or
not, and why.

FWIW, my goal was to make the colors of the snake pop more, but still
have things look reasonably realistic, if not perfectly accurate.