Larry Colen wrote:

Alan C wrote:
Take a look at this:

http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/t.s.tetrataenia.html

Great link. The friend who liked the photo said it looked like a coast
garter snake:
http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/t.e.terrestris.html

If you go down the page there's a section of snakes with a light dorsal
stripe and a lot of red on the side stripes

like this one:
http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/t.e.terrestris.html

Larry's "vibrant" version is very close.

My version is indeed punched up a bit past nominal, but not so much
that, to me, it looks screamingly unreal. I wonder if I lost any
vibrancy due to the lights I used. Yesterday noon, it was still under
the plants where I let it go the night before, but by evening, it had
warmed up enough to slither off someplace, so I can't go get him to
recompare.

Guess who we found today, still in my front yard:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157673045499340