Rick Womer wrote:
Larry, shooting RAW above 6400 I get noise I can't clean up in LR without
losing too much detail.

Are you setting the camera at ISO 10k or 25.6k, or are you "underexposing" in
the camera and pushing at post?

On both of those photos, I had the camera set for Tav. Sometimes, I'll underexpose a bit to preserve highlights. I generally don't like to push too much past 6400 or 8000, but sometimes the results surprise me. I have lost many more photos from too low a shutter speed, or too little depth of field than I have from too high of an ISO.

In any case, my point was that he should experiment with it, and when he has the time to take a second try at the photo, give it a try at the higher ISO because if he's coming from an ist, then he just will not believe what the camera can really do.

In any case, we all have our own limits as to what we'll tolerate in terms of noise. The when I was processing the shot of Jon, my first thought was that the noise on it was a little rough, and I wondered what ISO I was shooting at, I expected 8K not 25K.

As a side bit of internet history, the band he is playing with in that photo, Deth Specula, made internet history by being the first band to broadcast a concert live over the internet.