See p171-172 of the manual

As Larry speculated, if you go into Rec Mode 4 menu, select Movie, then >  you
will get to the Movie options. Scroll down, 3rd option is Sound, choices are On
or Off. Default is On. So that shouldn’t be the issue. Maybe you had a finger
covering the mic input?

I see no option for adjusting input sound level.

stan