OK, at this point I'm leaning towards the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. The one report I've had from the list about it is that it's optically very good. The outside reviews complain about it's plasticy build, and noisy AF motor, but hell large numbers of even fairly expensive lenses are mostly plastic these days and all my current AF lenses are screw drive, I wouldn't know what to do if a lens didn't make /some/ noise. The kicker is that Amazon is selling the damned things for a tiny bit less than $250.00 grey market.

Optically it appears to be on par with the Pentax DA 16-50, and Sigma 17-50 for approximately 1/3 and 3/5 the price of the former and latter respectively. True it's got the same warranty you'd get if you bought a used lens but even then it's less than 1/2 the price of a LN used Pentax, and about the same as the LN used Sigma.

The only fly in the ointment is that the USA version of the Tamaron has a 6 year guarantee, does it need it. I know that was the selling point of early imported Hyundai automobiles, they had the longest warranty in the US market because you /needed/ it.

immortality through not dying.
-- Woody Allen