Last I heard is there have been two fatalities but details are pretty scant.  I
think Wellington had more damage than we did; the USGS info seems to indicate
the quake propagated northwards.  You're right about Kaikoura.  The coastal
highway north of there is very scenic.  Good whale-watching just off the coast
as well.

I was wondering if our Anglican Cathedral might have finally collapsed but
there's been nothing in the news so I suppose it must still be standing.

I heard there's a bushfire not far from you, hopefully that comes under control
quickly.

Cheers,
Dave