On 12/10/2016 12:01 PM, Steve Cottrell wrote:
On 10/12/16, Ralf R Radermacher, discombobulated, unleashed:

Later generations will look at us and our diesel cars like we do at the
Middle Ages when people threw the content their chamber pots out into
the street.

European cities are so polluted by this diesel pest that we're having an
alarming rate of premature deaths through NOx and soot.

We should have a law requiring that diesel cars have the exhaust led to
the front, so that their drivers see what they're doing to all of us!

Actually I agree with you Ralf.

The problem is that back in the 1980s and 1990s, here in the UK diesel
was pushed as the 'cleaner' fuel and hence was cheaper in price than
petrol. the government promoted diesel heavily and the car manufacturers
followed suit by making more of them.

Now we are seeing the true legacy.

It all boils down from the oil lobby and the car makers, simple as that.
Without the need to pander to oil-rich nations, we would all have been
driving battery, even hydrogen powered cars years ago. Instead we line
the pockets of certain nations who shall remain nameless but have lots
of sand and camels.

I need a big utility vehicle for work, but if I had a choice of a less
polluting method of propulsion, I would jump at it.

Around here diesel was about 10% cheaper than regular gasoline up until
2003. Then it got a LOT more expensive; about 30% more than regular.

Since gas prices dropped last year the difference has fallen to where
diesel is only about 10% more than regular gas.

When I was shopping for a car in 2009, I looked at switching to diesel,
but soon figured I'd have to find one that got 50+ MPG to break even on
fuel cost.

The VW Rabbit Diesel Pickup I had before I had to go overseas got close
to that, but the best I could find in 2009 best was around 40 MPG.

Wish I'd kept the Rabbit.