On 27/05/17 16:09, John wrote:

[ .. ]
So I'm thinking about a Linux laptop. Which means either GIMP for image
editing or trying to run PhotoShop on WINE.

I know there are some Linux users here, maybe even a Guru or two.
I mostly use Linux; CentOS 6 and 7 distributions. It's where I do development at work, actually. I can't say I like the GNOME 3 desktop of the latter version much, but apart from that I'm quite happy with it, and there is always MATE (https://mate-desktop.org/)...

Anyone using GIMP recently? Or running PhotoShop using WINE?
Yep. Using GIMP, too. Works for me, but it's been ages since I tried PhotoShop, so I'm might not be too helpful if you want to a comparison.

I generally do "raw conversion" in RawTherapee (http://www.rawtherapee.com/), and also often adjust colour balance, "levels" etc. there. I tend to pre-process in this tool even when scanning film. I think it does the job rather well.

- T

Or is there another way?

Help!