I am rather (in some cases - very) conservative about upgrading OSes.
And with Windows, I've skipped several versions of Windows that I thought, or they turned out to be inferior. (Win ME, Vista, 8.x) But those versions that I've used, were ok, despite the changes people have complained about.

Most humans have comfort in habitual behavior. New versions are disruptive, but it doesn't mean that they do not have improvements over the previous ones... Win-10 is a big "tic" (in the "tic-toc") - in the way the UI and UX is designed. Starting from 8.x, Microsoft has been making a shift toward "app" model, similar to Android and iPhone ideas.
But they kept (after the complaints with 8.0) possibility to keep the
"standard" desktop UI.

With _every_ version/installation, I have to "tune" Windows, as the default settings are not for me. With Win-10 I had to do many more tweeks, as they've introduced new things related to privacy and information collection that I had to override. There are webpages (you can google them) that give reasonable advice on what should be changed.

But with all of that, I haven't had much of a problem with Win10, and I've installed/configured it on 2 different computers. And yes, it is working on 4GB of RAM, and even with LR/PS, at least until I open too many programs and browser windows at once.

Yes, with each version of Windows, you loose ability of running some outdated software. It's a pity, but that's the reality, almost similar to the facts that hurricanes and tornados, and even seasons happen, regardless us disliking or liking them them.

And, btw, it would've been even more if it were British ton (aka long ton) as opposed to the metric one! ;-)

Cheers,

Igor