They knew they were eventually going to lose the land because of rising
property taxes, so they sold most of it to the state to become a park.
They retained a concession to run the attraction as a non-profit
environmental education facility, but it's also under NC State Park rules
(which is why they're so uptight about alcohol on Nature Photography
Weekends).

I think it's pretty slick how they managed to keep the real estate
developers at bay. Now if they could just figure some way to get rid of
that g*&^@#n Sugartop!

IF there was some way to set up to implode it, I'd be willing to pay double
or triple admission just to watch.