On Dec 10, 2017, at 6:45 AM, Mark Roberts <postmas...@robertstech.com> wrote:

> High resolution scans take a looong time. No big surprise, I suppose.
> The IEEE 1394 interface is pointless, from a speed standpoint: The
> bottleneck as far as scanning speed is concerned is *not* the transfer
> of data from the scanner to the computer! (I believe they went with
> plain old USB2 for the follow-up model, the LS 9000.)

I found the same with my Minolta Multi Pro.  I suspect it offloads a lot of
processing to the computer.  I always scan with oversampling so that's going to
take the lion's share of the scan time.

> The IR dust & scratch removal is awesome. I keep it switched on but at
> its minimum setting and it works brilliantly. I can't imagine the time
> it would take to manually touch up dust spots on a 97MP scan.

It used to take me about an hour to touch-up a photo that contained a lot of
sky.  My scanner does support dust & scratch removal but I bought an accessory
called the Scanhancer which helps to smooth grain at the expense of not being
able to use the dust/scratch removal (it's basically a plastic diffuser).  It
also made the scanning a bit slower as I had to increase the exposure setting.

A few years back I went through and scanned all the rest of my 6x7 slides
thinking I'd get around to processing them eventually.  Still have the raw
files :)  I really should scan my 35mm stuff but just don't have the time right
now.

Cheers,
Dave