Same to you, Dan!

I don't know if your family also celebrated the "Old New Year", which is
on January 14, as it came from the Julian calendar, the same way as the
Orthodox Christmas.

The interesting fact is that the Old New Year is celebrated beyond the Eastern European countries, e.g. in Wales, Switzerland, Scotland, and even in North Africa (albeit on January 12 in the latter two regions).
I.e. it goes beyond the areas where Orthodox Church prevails.
For more details:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_New_Year

In Russia (and several other former Soviet Union republics), the school break typically runs from December 31th or 30th, till January 10 or so, depending on the weekend day at the end of it. Many companies also have extended holidays for a comparable period.

BTW, the message came through clearly. And it can be seen in the archive (both):
https://www.mail-archive.com/pdml@pdml.net/msg761572.html
http://pdml.net/pipermail/pdml_pdml.net/2018-January/442200.html

Mark must be a millennium behind, still running old-fashioned 7-bit (or UTF-8 illiterate) mailserver. ;)

Cheers,

Igor