Actually the original text is still there, in the code.  It's not displayed correctly if you don't have the Cyrillic fonts installed, or they're not installed to be available to all users and applications.  I don't know why anyone's personal computer would be set up that way, it takes extra effort, but, I've been known to put in extra effort just annoy someone so...

I have them installed to be used with all my applications.  So I see them, but I've never been able to read anything actually written with them.  I have a hard enough time with French Spanish and German, and they're generally written in Latin scripts, and I supposedly took some courses in them, but I couldn't prove it in actual practice.