Sounds like he needs an adult real-life lesson that will leave him feeling
inadequate, unloved and in despair at the pointlessness of existence, so
anything by Pentax will do.

When I was about that age someone bought me an Instamatic, which quickly
frustrated me, but one of my schoolfriends had an Olympus Pen-F (the half-frame
one) and we could use the school darkroom, so I learned a bit with that. There
is a digital version now - something like that would probably be good.