You crack me up, Bob! That's a great line ...! :-)

When I was that age, I'd already bought my own first camera (a Minolta 16-P
which cost me the grand sum of $19 at Camera Craft in New Rochelle, NY), having
been given a couple of Kodak cameras before then. But I wanted something more
adjustable. My mother loaned me her Argus C3... with which I learned a great
deal about ruining film until I figured out how to work aperture, shutter
speed, and focus. AND remembered to wind on to the next frame before re-cocking
the shutter.

There really isn't a modern equivalent. I'd never start a youngster on a 35mm
film camera nowadays, and any digital camera today has way more capabilities
and automation ... And the expectations of young people today are quite
different from my expectations of a camera in 1968.

However, as a teacher of photography, my goal in getting people who are
interested started out is to let them begin with focus and understanding light,
and understanding the difference between what your eyes see and what the camera
might record. Nothing on the market today would start a young person off with a
better basic understanding of those things than an instant film camera with
manual focus, and it would also serve to give them the immediate return on
their effort that is so important to the learning experience. Something like
the Lomo Instant Square I obtained recently or a Polaroid SX-70 with the
Polaroid Original film would do a great job of teaching these things, and would
also be special, different, from the smartphone experience in ways that would
be beneficial to learning how to be patient, how to be economical of exposures,
and how to "look, think, and consider" before shooting.

—
No matter where you go, there you are.