John - all good advice , most done before you wrote with suggestions from others. I did more than necessary, as it happened, because the one thing I missed doing was looking in every archival folder... my typo had landed the ebay folder under the 2015 archive folder.. which is where I also found another missing bunch of emails from my cafepress sales.

Just as a point of info - I download all my email manually.. that is, it doesn't down load until I click on GET MAIL.  I delete spam and junk then.. all mail is also left on server.

I dont know what combination of keys would be a command for "archive this" but perhaps there is one.  anyway all fine now...

ann