On 4/27/2018 11:25, Igor PDML-StR wrote:

Jack,

Your question confused me.
What "organizer"? Which TIFF images?

I don't think I understand all the aspects of your question, but I hope the following clarifying statements would at least partially answer it.

1. TIFF is not a raw format. So, I doubt it'd be produced in the camera.
Maybe as an "export" option, but even that is unlikely.

The *ist-D had TIFF files as an option. IIRC Herb Kepler recommended using the TIFF option when he reviewed the *ist-D in Popular Photography back in 2003 or 2004. At the time Kepler was not sure that RAW formats were going to catch on, and TIFF was the accepted universal format & what better than a camera that could output TIFF directly without requiring any additional software.

I think it was because the then current version of Photoshop (Photoshop 7) didn't include a raw converter. You had to use the camera manufacturer's proprietary software to convert your photos to a format Photoshop could handle. TIFF was one of those formats. Later Adobe added ACR to the lineup, but IIRC it was a stand-alone product you had to buy separately from Photoshop 7.

Adobe introduced the free DNG Converter in 2004 and DNG was one of the formats that Photoshop 7 could handle (possibly added through a software update). The DNG Converter could handle TIFF and PEF files from the *ist-D.

When I went to Iraq in 2004 I had Photoshop 5LE that came with my Nikon Scanner and it could open the TIFF files from the *ist-D. But it was so limited I soon started looking for an upgrade (for which Photoshop 5LE was not eligible).

But with combat pay & the tax exclusion, I had soon saved enough that I was able to buy a "used" copy Photoshop 7 from Amazon (who shipped to APO addresses).

After I got home, I purchased a retail copy of PhotoshopCS so I wouldn't have to worry if my copy was legit. I got a "free" upgrade to PhotoshopCS 2 because it was announced only a month after I bought CS.

2. DNG _is_ a raw format.
3. I am not aware of RAW+DNG format option in any camera.
4. With modern Pentax DSLRs, you can choose one of the two RAW formats:
"PEF" (Pentax proprietary) and DNG (Adobe's).
5. With the last several generations of Pentax DSLRs, you can choose
RAW or RAW+JPEG as the default, or override that manually with a button.
If you choose RAW+JPEG, you get two files written.

And with the K-3/K-1, you have the option of writing the RAW (PEF or DNG) to one card and the JPEGS to the other.

Here is a brief description of these file formats:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/41321715

HTH,

Igor