I don't think that TIFF is actually a RAW format Per se but as it supports a 16 bit per channel version, so there is more data to manipulate than the 8 bits available  per channel in Jpeg.  Most image processing software could deal with a number of different TIFF variants which was why it was at one time the preferred professional format.

Most if not all RAW formats put their data in a TIFF "wrapper", probably because there was no organization that owned the rights to TIFF, since it had been in use with FAX machines since just about the end of the Jurassic.

After all. why create a new format when you have one available that will do what you need, and you already have the expertise available to work with it, that no one can sue you over.