On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 04:32:23PM -0400, Igor PDML-StR wrote:

> TIFF is a rather broad format. Strictly speaking it is a container format
> that can have images incorporated in a variety of formats, including JPEG.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIFF
> This format is described in the TIFF 6.0 format standard.
> AFAIK, originally, it (the "classic" TIFF image) did not allow a RAW image
> incorporated (but I am not 100% confident here).

The TIFF 6.0 specification allowed for a variety of image decoders (such as,
for example, those used in CCITT FAX), including proprietary decoders.

The overall architecture of a DNG file (and, IIRC, a PEF file) conforms to
the TIFF 6.0 specifications (using TIFF tags to describe the organisation
of the file, for example), but the actual image data requires a decoder
which is not part of the TIFF standard.  The DNG standard adds a few extra
decoders to the TIFF standard, including one for the Bayer RGGB pattern.

While the *ist-D did offer TIFF, it wasn't really a raw format - although
the *ist-D had a sensor that could record 12 bits of data, the TIFF output
was limited to 8 bit.  The PEF output retained all 12 bits (although the
sensor data was stored in a 16-bit format, with no compression, leading to
fairly large files - looking at a few of my images when I was testing my
*isdt-D show .PEF files of around 14MB, and .TIF files of around 18MB).

I've used DNG as my RAW format since I moved from the *ist-D to a K10D.