On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 2:31 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
> Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote on 6/12/18 9:15 AM:
>>
>> I'm always entertained by silly photo stuff that might make interesting
>> photographs.
>>
>> Got a Nikon, Leica M, Pentax, Olympus, or whatever film camera taking up
>> space on your shelf? These guys are working on a back replacement that will
>> allow you to shoot Fujifilm Instax Square instant film with it.
>>
>> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ninmlab/instant-magny-35-an-instant-back-for-135-slr-and-r
>>
>> Ground floor pledges for some cameras are still available at about $100. I
>> hope they make their funding and actually produce the gizmo; it would be
>> fun. :)
>
> Interesting.  I'm guessing 2-3 stops loss of light due to the greater
> magnification ( don't know the size of the instant film ) and a fair amount
> of loss of detail due to the optics to get the image to the instant film.
> It seems that big thing hanging off the back of the camera would make things
> rather awkward to hold, or even see through the viewfinder.  But, apart from
> ease of use and image quality, that looks like it could be fun.

Instax square film is 2.4 inches on a side.

They claim that light loss is 3 stops so you treat the ISO 800 film as
ISO 100 to get correct exposure. The attachment also flips the image
because of that internal mirror. The front surface mirror is supposed
to be super reflective and clear.

The internal optics limits max aperture to f/4.

I have to wonder about the viewfinder issue, too, Larry. Looks like a
problem to me.

Cute but pointless, imho. Won't stop them from reaching their
Kickstarter target though! :-)

--
-bmw