Looks like the gasket might have been kinked before fitting.  It also looks
like the head might be eroded where it was leaking.  I think I would wipe it on
some fine wet and dry on a surface plate to check that before reassembly.
Gasket sets are a substantial expense, these days - you don't want to be using
two where one would do.