On 8/8/2018 14:37, Rick Womer wrote:
Odd. Got to them using my iPhone. Well done gallery; it makes me
wonder what the Bridgeport government was thinking.

Rick

My guess is they didn't have the $20 plus million a replacement bridge was going to cost and couldn't justify spending taxpayer's money to benefit so few people.

And while the question of how to restore public access was in limbo, the squatters, ravers, vandals & hooligans burned down too many of the island structures.

Neither Bridgeport nor Stratford, CT had the additional police & fire resources needed to protect the area. Every time another structure was destroyed the "costs" went up and the "benefits" went down.

Eventually it reached the point where there was no point in trying to save the houses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleasure_Beach

Plus, Stratford wanted to demolish the cottages they owned on their end of the peninsula so they could sell the land to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service for inclusion in the Stewart B. McKinney National Wildlife Refuge.