Well, the swing bridge that served as the only land vehicle access to the area was one of the last wooden bridges in Connecticut, was 'accidentally' set on fire sometime in the 80's and was no longer in use.  Bridgeport refused to repair it, because it would cost more than the revenue from the leased lands.   The residents by the way all had access to their properties by boat, there was even a water taxi service for those who didn't own a boat.

Bridgeport said they couldn't supply basic services to the area, so the locals set up their own voluntary organizations to fill the gap, even bought a small fire boat, set up a neighborhood watch, etc. which made the area pretty much self sufficient.   Emergency evacuation was said to be a problem as well.*

Those were the main reasons given for not renewing the leases.

I suspect that there were other reasons, not the least of which is that pleasure beach didn't need Bridgeport's government at all...

* On the other hand it's not the 1930's, storms don't sneak up on us like the 38 hurricane, we get days of warning.