What I miss here lately, and what I can not get on FaceBook, is
intelligent and constructive criticism.

Ten years ago, and even 3 or 4 years ago, I would post an image and more
experienced and talented members of the group would give me honest -- and
sometimes even brutal -- criticisms,  More often, a post would draw
comments on what was interesting and good about the image, what
aspects were weak or dissonant, and what could have been done, or still
could be done, to make it stronger.  Now, a few people will let me know if
they think one of my submissions has some merit.  If I get no response to a
PESO, I get the message that no one particularly likes it, but it has been
quite some time since I received some critical feedback, and even longer
since I saw any negative feedback.

I think we have become more and more like FaceBook, where people will
"like" an image, but not go much beyond that.  There have been a few images
in the recent past that have provoked interesting and meaningful
discussions on composition, lighting,l exposure or other aspects of the
work, but those seem to me few and far between.  Much more common are posts
with no feedback or with a comment like "pretty butterfly."  Everyone likes
to hear that the subject of their image is attractive, but that is no
substitute for the kinds of intense discussions and debates that went on
here when the number of active participants was higher.

Just the grumblings of an old grouch.
Dan Matyola