Daniel J. Matyola wrote on 12/15/18 7:23 AM:
I would love to see the butterfly trees.  We will be in San Jose Feb 16-Feb

Awesome!  We should definitely connect.

20. Will there still be any butterflies down in Santa Cruz?

Apparently so:
https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=26135
Says that they winter here

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=541
Although it seems that we're past the peak
Butterfly numbers typically peak between the end of October to mid-November - warm and sunny days are best for viewing. You can visit the preserve during park hours (8am-sunset), join us for a free 1-hour Monarch talk and habitat walk on Saturdays & Sundays at 11am.

How far is the drive?

The drive is about 40 minutes from San Jose depending on weather and traffic.

Dan Matyola