It's been a while since I looked at the available DAM softwares, but I think one worth checking out for the archive and tagging bit could be PhotoSupreme: https://www.idimager.com/photo-supreme-single-user-edition

It has a palatable licensing model and focus solely on doing the archiving bit. Guess it will stand or fall with how well it ties in with other software these days. I chose LR over its predecessor because of the overall convenience of LR.

A more inclusive package worth looking at is the suite from ACDsee: https://www.acdsee.com/en/index

Both options are available for both Mac and Win.

Jostein