> On 12 July 2019 at 20:14 Bill <anotherdrunken...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 7/12/2019 12:13 PM, Alan C wrote:
> > So owners will need two cars - one on charge & one on the road. Oh for a
> > time machine!
> >

> Nope, it's just going to take a while for battery technology to catch up
> to the needs of long distance driving. That and more depth of charging
> stations that can quick charge a vehicle will make electric realistic
> for longish road trips.
>
> Cabin heating will be a challenge. Right now, cabin heaters take heat
> from the engine cooling system, but electric vehicles will have to heat
> the cabin off the battery. This will be a range killer with winter
> driving. I expect AC units will have some negative effect on range as well.
> Personally, I think hydrogen fuel cells are the way to go, but as they
> have been tried and discarded, the people who know more than me must
> know stuff I don't.
> Right now, to me as a consumer, electrics are cute toys that show
> potential to be useful, but they aren't there yet. I suspect it won't be
> long though.

I'm for hydrogen as well.  Chemical batteries will never be able to equal the
stamina of liquid fuels.  Hydrogen cars are available to lease in California
and even backward old UK has three or four hydrogen refuelling stations, so
don't write them off yet.  The other big issue with batteries is the the
electrickery has to be generated somehow and, at present, that means burning
fossil fuels.  The only advantage batteries have is that environmental impact
can be better regulated when generation is concentrated in fewer locations.
But building the charging infrastructure (and the impact from creating it)
would be a phenomenal undertaking if we went wholly to all eletric vehicles..