Hmm. I've got a couple of friends in my workshop group who run Macs on macOS
Catalina and have the Perfection V850 Pro scanner and Stylus Photo R2880
printer. Neither have reported any difficulties using them … They just
downloaded and installed the latest drivers from Epson and were up and running
immediately.

What's the issue?