Perhaps Ricoh/Pentax is planning to follow the Leica route of going against the main stream for a small public.
That would seem to be the way to go if you're a small player in a market.

Trying to compete against the big boys doesn't seem to have done Olympus any good, even though they used the newest tech they could to enhance their retro offerings.

Sony has decided to spend all it's corporate treasury to capture the mainstream photographic market, and Nikon and Canon seem to be unwilling to go quietly into oblivion, while Panasonic wants to give Sony a run for it's money. That doesn't leave much for a small player.

If Pentax want's to  become the Leica of the Pentaprism, and can manage it, that just gives photographers more options.