Unos and Duos ain’t what they used to be. They were sold, franchised and pretty
much destroyed. Last time I was at Unos it was very ordinary. In any case derp
dish pizza was pretty much a Johnny come lately in Chicago. The real pizza of
Chicago’s Italian immigrants is thin crust, decadent and cut into small
squares. Italian bar owners started serving it more than a century ago. It’s
sometimes called tavern style. The crust is thin and rich but not cracker-like.
A bit of corn flour on the bottom adds texture. Sauce goes generously atop the
crust followed by hearty hunks of loose sausage and topped fully with premium
mozzarella. The cheese floats on the sauce and sausage grease. Done right, as
it is in many places particularly on the south side, It’s to die for. There’s
probably at least one good pie joint in Waukegan but it won’t bear any of the
names popularized by the tourist crowd. It’ll be small, probably next door to a
bar, and it will have a name like Vito and Frankie’s.