On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 09:27:33AM +0000, Bob Pdml wrote:
> > On 24 Nov 2021, at 07:32, mike wilson <m.9.wil...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >
> > ???
> >> On 24 November 2021 at 04:47 John Francis <jo...@panix.com> wrote:
> >>

> >> The Olympus rig is only a little lighter than the Pentax;
> >> while the lens is significantly lighter (even though it's
> >> f2.8, not f4), the OM-D body is actually quite a bit heavier
> >> than the K5. (The K3 is heaver than the K5, too, but still
> >> significantly lighter than the OM-D M1X, even with a grip).
> >
> > I was rather curious about this.  For decades, Pentax was agreed to be the
> > lightest and petitest of the major manufacturers, generally without a lack
> > of facility.  I can remember discussions here about it being one of the
> > attractants.  It will be interesting to see if you decide that the saving
> > in mass was worth the expenditure.
> > --
> > %(
>
> A few months ago I bought a used Panasonic GX8 as a second body alongside my
> Olympus E-M1 Mk II. It was like new with only about seven hundred shutter
> clicks, and was about half the price I???d seen advertised elsewhere.
>
> It very quickly became the camera I reach for first as it???s much, much
> smaller, lighter and more simple than the Oly. I subsequently bought some
> used and cosmetically ugly, but optically sound, Panasonic lenses (12-35/2.8,
> 35-100/2.8) which are much lighter and easier to handle than the M.Zuiko
> 12-40/2.8, and a new 50/1.7.
>
> I like this kit so much that I???ve bought a second mint GX8, with even fewer
> shutter clicks (just over 400) than the other one, at an even lower price,
> and plan to sell the E-M1 and that lens, along with a few other bits of
> Olympus kit.
>
> I realise the GX8 is probably not the camera for someone like John, but for
> me it???s a really good find.
>
> Hello again, by the way. I seem to have gone awol from the PDML for a couple
> of months, but messages started coming through again yesterday.

Hello again, Bob - I was wondering where you had vanished to.

Thanks for the recommendation for the GX8 - I'll take a look at that one.

I'm anticipating buying a new smaller camera to replace my wife's E-PL1
(while that camera still works just fine, sensor technology has made a
few steps forwards since then). I hadn't got round to taking much of a
look to see what's out there except seeing what the current E-PL## was;
it will probably be 6-12 months before we go anywhere my wife needs a
new camera (the hard date is early 2022, when the US National Figure
Skating Championships returns to San Jose - the last time that this
happened was when she got the E-PL1).  But it occurred to me that I
might also want to consider whatever we end up buying as an everyday
camera just to have with me.
--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List