> On Nov 24, 2021, at 12:15 PM, John Francis <jo...@panix.com> wrote:
>

>> A few months ago I bought a used Panasonic GX8 as a second body alongside my
>> Olympus E-M1 Mk II. It was like new with only about seven hundred shutter
>> clicks, and was about half the price I???d seen advertised elsewhere.
>>
>> It very quickly became the camera I reach for first as it???s much, much
>> smaller, lighter and more simple than the Oly. I subsequently bought some
>> used and cosmetically ugly, but optically sound, Panasonic lenses
>> (12-35/2.8, 35-100/2.8) which are much lighter and easier to handle than the
>> M.Zuiko 12-40/2.8, and a new 50/1.7.
>>
>> I like this kit so much that I???ve bought a second mint GX8, with even
>> fewer shutter clicks (just over 400) than the other one, at an even lower
>> price, and plan to sell the E-M1 and that lens, along with a few other bits
>> of Olympus kit.
>>
>> I realise the GX8 is probably not the camera for someone like John, but for
>> me it???s a really good find.
>>
>> Hello again, by the way. I seem to have gone awol from the PDML for a couple
>> of months, but messages started coming through again yesterday.
>
> Hello again, Bob - I was wondering where you had vanished to.
>
> Thanks for the recommendation for the GX8 - I'll take a look at that one.
>
> I'm anticipating buying a new smaller camera to replace my wife's E-PL1
> (while that camera still works just fine, sensor technology has made a
> few steps forwards since then). I hadn't got round to taking much of a
> look to see what's out there except seeing what the current E-PL## was;
> it will probably be 6-12 months before we go anywhere my wife needs a
> new camera (the hard date is early 2022, when the US National Figure
> Skating Championships returns to San Jose - the last time that this
> happened was when she got the E-PL1).  But it occurred to me that I
> might also want to consider whatever we end up buying as an everyday
> camera just to have with me.

Something that appeals to me about the u4/3 system is the diversity of bodies
available for it.  You could go full OMD acts like an SLR when you want all the
things, or a more minimalist body when what you most want is it being light
weight.  I can see a lot of appeal to an OMD with one of the 25mm f/0.9 lenses.

I was given an u4/3 body a while back and a couple of lenses, and it is enough
to make me wish I had the budget for a u4/3 lightweight system.  Unfortunately
the body I have is so damned point and shoot and helpful that it’s damn near
impossible to use.  Also the internal battery is dead so every time you change
the battery you have to reset the clock.

Oops, that reminds me I didn’t take my cameras off of DST, need to go do that
now.

--
Larry Colen
l...@red4est.com