I think I learned some things from my last shoot and am giving it another try
tonight.

Oddly, things seem to be mostly working just fine with live view. I can see
enough on the display to frame myself where I want to be, I can see the preview
screen and get an idea how things turned out, and using my wired remote trigger
I can take photos when I want.

> On Dec 1, 2021, at 9:16 AM, Doug Brewer <d...@dougbrewerphoto.com> wrote:
>
> Isn't there a timer on the camera?

Yeah, that’s how I took the last set:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/albums/72157720168248521

Warning for the faint of heart, there are a few shirtless ones at the end.

Ann also explained how I could do the self portraits using a film era camera.
I even have some self portraits I took years ago by sticking a mop in a bucket,
manually focusing on that, and trying to stand in the same place using the self
timer.

The point of my complaint was that there are a lot of advantages to being able
to see what is in the frame.  I don’t know about you folks, but when I’m taking
photos I don’t aim the camera and shut my eyes before pressing the shutter.  At
least not often.

However, like I said things were working great tonight, until I realized that
if I put the camera in single frame mode, I wouldn’t get a bunch of second
frames with uncharged strobes, and the K-1 turned the flash off.  Long story
short, in live view, if you put it in “motordrive” mode, whatever they call it,
they turn off the electronic shutter.  Also, something that isn’t well
documented, if the camera is in electronic shutter mode, it won’t fire a flash.
  I had to disable electronic shutter to use live view with a flash.

Whoever wrote the K-1 manuals should be soundly beat about the head and
shoulders with a tiltall tripod.  It should simply say what the effects of
being in different modes are.  sigh.  They spent too much time trying to make
the manuals so they don’t scare off morons who would be better off just using
their phone cameras and don’t tell the people who know photography what they
need.  But that is a rant for another day.

For folks who are curious, I’ll put proofs from tonight here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/albums/72157720194746983

I am incapable of critiquing photos of myself, so I post proofs and beg friends
to tell me which ones suck the least.

--
Larry Colen
l...@red4est.com