I used mine for the first time two weeks ago.  Two sets of NiMh lasted
friday night through saturday night shooting 9 rolls of film.  Most
discharges were full or close to full since it was dark and a soft box was
used. (off camera grip with TTL sync cord).  The second set still had power
in them when I was done.
If I have a chance (I have 10 sets of slides to start labeling) I will put
in a charged up pair of NiMh in my flash and set off a couple of full power
manual bursts to time the recycle time.  Mine is definitely more then 1
second.  I would say 5 or 6 seconds if memory serves me from that weekend.
While I think my meter may do flash metering, I have no idea how to use it
as such (Gossen Luna Star F) since I do not have a manual with it.

                                                                 Jeff