On 18 Jun 2002 at 11:27, Frantisek Vlcek wrote:

> Hi,
>    I am considering dumping my Metzes as they are getting older and
>    older, and getting that AF280T. But I am concerned about the lower
>    power it has...
>
>    1) Does it accept NiCds? I was told that the orig.manual stated to
>    NOT use NiCds... Any danger in using them? I never use alkalines as
>    the recycle times are just 3x as slow then... What about NiMH too?

Hi Frantisek,

I have been using NiMH in my flashes (Pentax and Metz) since they became widely
available and none have suffered any I'lls even when used near continuously.

>    3) What's the recycle time with fresh rechargable batteries, at
>    FULL power burst? I bounce flash always (either with a card or from
>    a ceiling/wall) so I need fastest recycling as bouncing eats lot of
>    light, especially with my digicam which is best at iso 100 (iso 400
>    is grainy/noisy on it).

Recycle times after a full power flash using freshly re-charged Varta VH1600AA
NiMH cells were as follows:

P AF200T        4.2S
P AF280T        3.55S
M 32CT3 3.97S
M 36CT2 6.8S

>    Anything else I should know about the flash? It's no longer
>    serviced by Pentax, right? Any problems that show with age?

>    4) Please, if anybody's got a flashmeter, would you be so kind as
>    to measure it at 1m or 2m from the flash (better 2m and double the
>    reading f/stop as that's more accurate), in reasonably large room
>    so I could compare it with the reading I get from my Metzes? I know
>    Pentax chose "marketing speech" for their later flashes inflating
>    their GN by stating it at long zoom range (like 85mm or 105mm)
>    which drives me nuts... Even Metz now inflates it (but least of all
>    manufacturers, e.g. GN at coverage not of 35mm but 50mm, which is
>    about 10% diff., unlike 50% diff. with Pentax, Canon, Nikon...)

Using a Gossen flash meter in incident mode at very close to 2m in each case at
full power the meter read as follows:

P AF200T        f8 6/10
P AF280T        f5.6 4/10
M 32CT3 f8 3/10