> On Jan 22, 2024, at 2:07 PM, Bob W PDML <pdm...@icloud.com> wrote:
>
>> On 22 Jan 2024, at 21:36, John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> Can it reset the clock to LOCAL time?
>>
>> That's the biggest problem I have with the clock - traveling to a different
>> time zone and forgetting to set the camera's clock to the correct time zone,
>> i.e. I have the camera set to "New York" (because it doesn't have a setting
>> for "Eastern" time or "Raleigh, NC" and I'm in Albuquerque ... or halfway
>> round the world, so the clock may be off anywhere 2 to 12 hours.
>>

> I’d expect the satellites to transmit UTC. Local time is a function of UTC
> and the time zone offset and savings time, derived from the GPS coordinates.
>
> If I were you I’d set all my cameras to UTC, then you shouldn’t have any
> problems merging image files from different cameras and getting the date/time
> sorting all stuffed up.
>
> Then photograph a town name from time to time so you have an embedded record
> of where you were. Modern operating systems can recognise and select text in
> image files, so you can copy and paste it into the metadata if you want to.

Hmm. I like to keep the camera's date setting current, but rarely ever look at
the time my cameras are set to.
I order things in LR by frame number, not by time, and only very very
occasionally use more than one camera at a time, so it's rarely an issue.

If I do have two cameras output (iphone and m10m, or m10m and m10r), since I
don't shoot all that many frames in a session on average, I can usually
integrate all the photos together in the right sequence and then rename them
into an ordinal sequence, if that seems important. I can also set the capture
times into an ordinal range that way.

Most of the time, I don't worry about time and date very much. Once I've
rendered my photos and put together a set to display, whatever order they are
in is what I choose, not what the frame numbering or the time/date sequence
are.

Life is sure simpler in the Polaroid instant film world where a pack of film
has only eight exposures and I can remember exactly what sequence I shot them
in… :D

%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List