Excellent points Pal.
vic

In a message dated 8/3/02 6:51:16 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<Paul wrote:

> Early R series cameras can be very unrelibale, but the R7, R8, R6 and R6.2

> are reliable and built like a tank.

The R8 had plenty of problems that are probably solved by now. If I remember
correctly, the guy who tested the R8 for Photo.net (or was it elsewhere?)
switched to Nikon due to it's low reliability.

I'm sure Leicas are well made. So are Mercedes Benzes, but a Toyota is
probably more reliable.

> I dont think any camera in maintenance free, being a mechanical piece of

> machinery things wear and need to be serviced. I would think that an M4 or

> M6 is very reliable camera.

Remember that a Leica rangefinder are hugely simple devices compared to a
complex camera like the LX.