My name is Bruce (Not the Nikon guy).  About 27 years ago, My father
gave me a new Praktica SLR for my birthday.  It came with a 50/2.0
lens and was a screw mount body.  It had open aperture metering and a
match needle much like a K1000.  Incidentally, my Dad was a Canon man
with an FTB body at the time.

I grew to love photography and manual camera systems.  I shot mostly
Ektachrome in those days.  I spent two years in Japan and while there,
decided to get a new camera.  I ended up getting the brand new Canon
A-1 with 35-70 zoom.  This camera had everything at the time.
Aperture, shutter priority, full program and metered manual.  It was
also the camera that almost caused me to quit taking pictures.  I
hated it!  More than any other camera I have ever tried.  There was
nothing wrong with it except the way it worked and the way I wanted to
work it did not match.  I wanted a simple match needle style meter and
this was as far from it as possible.  So I sold it and got a nice,
simple match needle camera - Olympus OM-1 with Zuiko 50/1.7.  Now that
was a camera!  I loved it.  It did everything that I wanted, the way I
wanted.

A few years later, I started shooting some theatre and found that I
couldn't use the black match needle to do any metering.  The subject
would be in a spotlight, but the needle would be in the black area. So
I started a search for a body that would behave like a needle (not
scales and numbers), but be visible in dim/dark.  That was when I
found the MX.  Much as I loved that Olympus, the MX was almost the
same - good build, nice lenses, small, manual and I could see the
LED's in the dark.

I had just gotten married and was contemplating going into photography
professionally (weddings, portraits).  In the area I was in,
Hasselblad was king.  The type of gear you had made some impact on the
clientele and I felt that I needed the most impact that I could afford
(perhaps foolish on my part).  The best impact name I could afford was
Nikon in 35mm.  They had a model very similar in style and handling to
the MX which made me feel right at home.  So I sold my MX to my
brother (still has it and won't sell it back to me) and got a new
Nikon FM.  I also loved that camera and used it for quite a long time.
I should say that my wife finally convinced me to pursue a more
lucrative career path after a bit of a go.

We were expecting our first child and I wanted my wife to be able to
use and be comfortable with the camera.  Try as I might, she did not
want to learn about F stops and shutter speeds.  The manual camera was
just not going to cut it.  So I started looking for a full program
capable camera that would still handle like a match needle in manual
mode (none of those scales and numbers stuff).  Pentax had just
released the SuperProgram at that point.  I went to the store and
handled it, worked with it and found the manual mode to my liking.  I
didn't like the Nikon offerings because of the style of viewfinder
info.  So I sold my FM and came back to Pentax in the form of a new
SuperProgram.

Years later (Wife starting using Pentax P&S's instead of SuperProgram)
I was looking at the AF bodies and feeling like I wanted to go that
direction.  I looked seriously at a Canon Rebel, but just didn't like
the feel or style of manual control.  I looked at the ZX-10 that had
recently been released and decided that I would stick with Pentax and
have amassed equipment ever since.

I went from ZX-10's to PZ-1p's to MZ-S's to finally a P67II.  Each of
these have been very satisfying to own and use.  With a full range of
primes and a few zooms I have been happy with my results and derive
much joy and satisfaction out of this hobby that is rapidly becoming
more of a business.  In the past two years I have done many weddings
and portraits/groups.

I still have the ZX-10's, one MZ-S and the P67II.  At this stage, the
most used cameras are my little digital Coolpix 990 (snapshots) and
the P67II.  I almost never use the 35mm stuff unless I need the speed
of AF (not very often).  The MZ-S is mostly a backup for the 67II. I
have half a mind to sell it and get a second 67II.  Like Tom, I
anticipate the move to digital (business oriented reasons more than
personal) will have me ending up with a DSLR for much of the stuff I
do and the P67II for the rest. Whether I stay with Pentax for the
digital remains to be seen.  I am not in any hurry, but won't get a
Pentax DSLR if it is not a reasonable offering.

Bruce