Helmut, List.

Helmut, I think you miss the point of my original post.

"to call unavoidable logic an incestuous lens, is a dangerous move towards a 
hobbean war of all against all. In such a war, who would win?"

There is nothing unavoidable about that (logic) which I contend against — that 
which is stated in my original post in opposition to the familiar 
categorizations of what constitutes knowledge. Remember, I was delving into 
what is "belief" within that above context. Hobbes, and I have been reading 
plenty of Hobbes lately, is talking about a state of nature which never really 
existed — Marshall Sahlins is right when he calls it (Bellum contra omnes) a 
creation myth (origin-myth) of "capitalism". I don't think, however, it bears 
upon what I originally wrote.

Indeed, Thomas wrote something which perhaps you may find as interesting as I 
do regarding the dyad with which we have to do here  (namely, 
"belief/knowledge"). He noted that for Peirce something is not really belief, 
as such, if I remember his reply correctly, until one acts upon it. I find that 
much more interesting, say collateral experience and its embodiment, than 
arbitrary, albeit useful, at times, distinctions between deduction, induction, 
and abduction.

Best,
Jack

________________________________
From: Helmut Raulien <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2026 11:46 PM
To: [email protected] <[email protected]>; [email protected] 
<[email protected]>; [email protected] 
<[email protected]>
Cc: [email protected] <[email protected]>; [email protected] 
<[email protected]>; [email protected] <[email protected]>
Subject: Aw: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Michael Shapiro's 'linguistic neostructuralism' vs 
Noam Chomsky's 'generative grammar', was, Chomsky's vs Peirce's views of 
language acquisition

Jack, List,

to call universalism ethnocentrism, to call unavoidable logic an incestuous 
lens, is a dangerous move towards a hobbean war of all against all. In such a 
war, who would win? The WASPs, of course, as before. Just because 
universalistic philosophy has been successfully articulated by privileged men 
in the colonialist countries, does not mean, that it as a tool may only be 
harnessed by them. On the contrary: Martin Luther King, Mahatma Gandhi, John 
Brown, Simone de Beauvoir, Bob Marley, (who have come into my mind just now), 
were not identityists, but universalists. I think, that identity politics , a 
kind of absolute relativism (note the paradoxon) is false and dangerous, just 
as the (Peircean? Peirce-overinterpreting?) focus on "habit" is. I add to my 
list Spartacus, quite some time before colonialist-countries-enlightenment, so 
not influenced by its "habit", so, maybe the wish for freedom is not habitual, 
but somewhat universal?

Best, Helmut

12. Mai 2026 um 14:48
 "Jack Cody" <[email protected]>
wrote:
Jerry, list,

I would just note that knowledge, as such, is not merely deductive, nor 
abductive, nor any of these philosophical terminologies which are, at best, 
categorical lenses through which one would then, apparently self-reflexively, 
understand knowledge qua "knowledge" (understand the term through an acquired 
series of concepts which present themselves as natural but are also somewhat 
received).

There is also the notion, true enough, that knowledge, quite apart from being 
distinct from belief, is a form of belief — to know, any-thing, such that the 
shop I shall visit later will be there when I travel, is habitual-praxis 
(Peirce has his own views on this....) which is embodied as habitus 
(Mauss/Bourdieu). There is a belief-structure to the confidence which 
corresponds to the knowledge-structur(ing) of all things one confidently, with 
belief, claims to know.

Of course I do not quibble with the gist of your post in terms of analytical 
distinction regarding the belief, for example, that a magic thing might cause 
some second or third magical thing to happen in such a way that this kind of 
belief cannot be proven or rationally given but its faithful would have to 
adhere to it on the basis that it is the "religion" (in rough terms, whatever 
function it served, among other criteria) of the society.

I merely point out that your very formal definitions are themselves not, at 
all, (and this is hardly your fault for I blame the philosophical canon for its 
incestuous nature — I mean its inverted ethnocentrism of a sort which sees only 
categories of reason(ing) which it has held for centuries or more to be what 
the terms signify and then we quibble about the ordering of said terms) — not, 
at all, entirely correct or true and do, ironically, call for a belief (what 
else shall you call it? a conviction? makes no difference if it is 
evidence-based...) on the part of those who propose it.

Best,
Jack

PS: I nod to Peirce who did some work on the notion of embodied habit (habitus 
in Mauss, though Peirce never used this term to my knowledge nor was likely 
aware of how much more broadly it could be extended, though happy for others to 
argue and prove me wrong on that).

________________________________
From: [email protected] <[email protected]> on behalf of 
Jerry LR Chandler <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, May 9, 2026 10:11 PM
To: [email protected] <[email protected]>; Helmut Raulien 
<[email protected]>
Cc: [email protected] <[email protected]>; Gary Richmond 
<[email protected]>; [email protected] <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Michael Shapiro's 'linguistic neostructuralism' vs Noam 
Chomsky's 'generative grammar', was, Chomsky's vs Peirce's views of language 
acquisition

List:

On May 8, 2026, at 7:14 PM, Helmut Raulien <[email protected]> wrote:

"Belief" is a term for not a logical concept, but for a hardened state of mind. 
Knowledge is due to deduction. To estimate a probability is due to induction, 
and to take something for possible is due to abduction. But to believe in 
something doesn´t have a logical background, only its fixation can be analysed 
to four kinds. "I know, that not" is a knowledge, "I don´t know, that" too. "It 
is possible, that not" is a possibility, "It is not possible, that" is not a 
possibility anymore. "It is probable, that not" and "It is not probable, that" 
are both probabilities. "I believe, that not" is a belief, but "I don´t 
believe, that" is not a belief anymore. So, belief logically works like 
possibility, and knowledge like probability.

What forms of logicality are being addressed in these sentences?

Let’s discuss.

In CSP's syntactical table (matrix of classes of terms),

Qualisign  Sinsign, Legisign,

aligns signs with precisely chosen “word forming elements” that charge the 
reader with associating the meanings of signs with multiple possible forms of 
ordinations of meanings.

In the second row of this syntax-generating table (matrix),

Icon, Index, Symbol,

CSP aligns a set of cognitive terms that associate multiple concomitant terms 
that potentially align the signs with forms of logicality.

In the third row of the table, CSP aligns three terms

Rhema, Dicisign, Argument

thereby generating an alignment of a 3x3 matrix of syntactical words which he 
uses to associate cognitively the logicality of sentences, that is, an argument 
(a determinative proposition that is valid)

It is critical to note that the de novo genesis of a proposition from specific 
predecessor terms is the task aligned with the term _argument_ .

The first column of the matrix structural order aligns the meanings of 
qualisigns, icon, and rhema as necessary illative terms that point to a 
specific identity.

The second column of the matrix structural order aligns the meanings of terms 
sinsign, index (numbers, ordering?) and dicisign (ordination?) into a specific 
form of transitivity that are necessary to form an argument that potentially 
specifies the legisign.

This line of reasoning is grounded on the presumption of a consistent 
linguistic (syntactical, indexical, grammatical) interpretation of scientific 
evidence without any direct reference to mathematical operations or 
mathematical structures such as “linear algebra” or “isomorphisms”.

It appears CSP is using the term “legisign” as an alternative to stating that a 
meaningful name of identity is assigned to the sinsign.

Open question:
  The question is what motivates the change in order of the second row
 from “icon, index, symbol”
 to “index, icon, symbol”?

What would be the cause such that the logicality of all specific patterns of 
syntactical and grammatical inference among terms of the argument be changed?

Would it be revised because of an insufficient grammatical structure to support 
a meaningful (valid) assertion under any situation or semiotic circumstance?

Cheers

Jerry

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
► PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON 
PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . 
►  <a href="mailto:[email protected]";>UNSUBSCRIBE FROM PEIRCE-L</a> . 
But, if your subscribed email account is not your default email account, then 
go to
https://list.iu.edu/sympa/signoff/peirce-l .
► PEIRCE-L is owned by THE PEIRCE GROUP;  moderated by Gary Richmond;  and 
co-managed by him and Ben Udell.

Reply via email to