Gary, List,
 
I think, you are right. I like yout first mentioned term "shared expectations" better, than "habits of interpretation", though both terms I find correct. But I suspect the term "habit" to have a pseudo-explanatory, and too generalizing, quality, or at least to me it seems so. I admit, that this feeling may be caused by the common-sense understanding of "habit" to be a not reflected piece of personal grounds of behavior. 
 
Some weeks before, I have come to my conclusion, that expectations (now I´d say, especially shared ones too) are a part of the dynamical object. So then, in a semiosis, not only the interpretant, and with it the following signs, is affected, influenced, determined, but via the interpretant the dynamical object as well.
 
I now suspect (maybe though due to not enough knowledge of mine), that Perircean semiotics thoroughly analyses the determination path from the object to the sign and then to the interpretant, but not enough what happens afterwards. I guess, the interpretant then determines the dynamical object, or at least its change. The new dynamical object then determines the new sign, 
 
So, the interpretant not only is an interpretation, but as well a structure-changing agent. The structure of a semiotic system is situated in the dynamkical objects. So, structure is secondness, and not, as I had thought some time before, thirdness. This I think is in accord with Peirces concept of "Altersense", which, I think, includes memory, and Luhmann, for whom the structure of a social system is the expectations and the expectations of expectations.
 
Best,
Helmut
24. September 2026 um 07:28
 "Gary Richmond" <[email protected]>
wrote:

Helmut, List,

I wonder whether the boundary object in your example is less the press/media itself than the practice of reporting, that is, the shared expectation that claims about events can be checked, challenged, corrected, etc. From the standpoint of semeiotic, “lying press” is a sign whose interpretant may be a habit of dismissing reports before considering their evidence. Repeated often enough, one can imagine that it can weaken a practice through which people with very different views might still inquire together.

Of course, a particular report may deserve criticism. However, the blanket accusation of "lying' does something else: it makes the source’s affiliation with the press sufficient grounds for rejecting whatever it reports. So perhaps the essential question is: What habits of interpretation does this accusation produce? And, further, what are the societal effects of these habits?

Best,

Gary R


On Wed, Sep 23, 2026 at 10:12 AM Helmut Raulien <[email protected]> wrote:
List,
 
recently I´ve come across the term "boundary object". Copy-paste-quote from Wikipedia:
"

The concept was introduced by Susan Leigh Star and James R. Griesemer in a 1989 publication (p. 393):[2][3]

Boundary objects are objects which are both plastic enough to adapt to local needs and constraints of the several parties employing them, yet robust enough to maintain a common identity across sites. They are weakly structured in common use, and become strongly structured in individual-site use. They may be abstract or concrete. They have different meanings in different social worlds but their structure is common enough to more than one world to make them recognizable, a means of translation. The creation and management of boundary objects is key in developing and maintaining coherence across intersecting social worlds.

".
So, boundary objects are valuable for bridging or coupling systems with each other. A first thought of mine now is, that an antagonistic subsystem, in order to define and establish its boundary, may strive to dismantle and destroy boundary objects. Example:
 
"The press" had been defined by its main function: To report. A report obviously tells facts, so "a report" should be close to the truth. The antagonistic subsystem in this case is the group of conspiracy-believers. With their term "lying press", its absurd lump-sum nature, that group strives to dismantle and destroy the boundary object "press". They do that with other BOs too, such as "scientists" or "politicians", by not refraining from extremely absurd insinuations, such as cannibalism (Qanon), or ultimative, extraterrestrial strangeness ("reptiloids"). Now, this group usually refers to its own so-called analysis based on "Who does it benefit?". But this analysis of BOs shows, that the said group itself benefits from destroying BOs, to establish a boundary, and thus become a system with competence to act, first of all, by dividing society.
 
Now I wonder: How can acts-on-objects be peircelized?
 
Best regards,
Helmut
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
► PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] .
►  <a href=""mailto:[email protected]" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" data-href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]">UNSUBSCRIBE FROM PEIRCE-L</a> . But, if your subscribed email account is not your default email account, then go to
https://list.iu.edu/sympa/signoff/peirce-l .
► PEIRCE-L is owned by THE PEIRCE GROUP;  moderated by Gary Richmond;  and co-managed by him and Ben Udell.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
► PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON 
PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . 
►  <a href="mailto:[email protected]";>UNSUBSCRIBE FROM PEIRCE-L</a> . 
But, if your subscribed email account is not your default email account, then 
go to
https://list.iu.edu/sympa/signoff/peirce-l .
► PEIRCE-L is owned by THE PEIRCE GROUP;  moderated by Gary Richmond;  and 
co-managed by him and Ben Udell.

Reply via email to