I think that's a nice outline, Gary. Of course I'll comment.

I won't say anything about Howard's focus on the symbol; I agree with your
outline of his use of the term and anything else - is for him to comment.

However, I disagree with one small part of your attempt to classify Peirce's,
Howard's and my analysis of semiosis. That is, you attempt to classify Peirce's
as 'logical'...and Howard's and mine as...non-logical??? I disagree. Howard's
outline is quite logical - and I consider that mine is as well. I don't mean
logical in the daily use sense, but as having a consistent infrastructure from
the simple to the complex. And I don't think that Peirce's massive works and
thought can be reduced to 'logic'.

Certainly, my view includes semiosis within the physico-chemical realm, but as
I've pointed out, so did Peirce. I'm not going to repeat the many references to
Peirce about 'matter as effete mind' etc.   I'd hardly say that my outline is
mathematical! (Me???) The question of 'what is life' and 'how is it different
from the physico-chemical realm' is not confined to biologists or semioticians
- and I'm not sure that knowing this will help biologists in their attempt to
understand how the biological realm works in its pragmatic tasks of adaptation
and evolution.  I think that some basic differences that I have with others is
that they seem to have a more linguistic or anthropomorphic view of semiosis,
in that there is often an emphasis on cognition, thought...while my view is
that habitual laws of organization (not interpretation) are the basis and these
laws are not confined within human thought. So, I'm interested in CAS (complex
adapative systems) as semiosic - and these include all realms
(physico-chemical, biological and societal).

i certainly agree that the many (and endless!) terminological disputes really
have no constructive purpose. But, your outline is, I think, productive in
showing us that semiosis is a broad and complex field.

Edwina