Dear Cathy,

Yes, and I also remember us having a good milkshake for lunch that day.

What I call the solenoid of semeiosis is a diagram of my understanding of
the relations among the sign aspects. Topologically, the solenoid is torus
that connects its end with its own beginning (like the ancient ouroboros,
for instant). It is identical to the Moebius strip and Klein's bottle, all
of them having this same property of turning around itself.

I use the solenoid to explain my periodic table of classes of signs.
Actually, I call it "periodic" for the single reason that the solenoid has
periods.

The best way to present my table would be as the form of a snail. It is
presented in my website as a flat triangular figure because it makes easy
to deal with it. I have a hard time explaining all this and usually the
first question I get when people first see it is about the "holes" in the
periodic table, which are there precisely because it is a 2D projection of
a 3D figure. The mapa mundi also has holes (or deformities) due to the same
reason.

The solenoid is better understood if you choose a bottom-up analysis. The
loops or periods represent habit formation among the aspects. The first
loop, at the bottom, represents the "habit of habit breaking" (Psi), while
the second represents the "habit of habit taking" (Phi). Together, these
two loops express how the sign develops toward the final interpretant.

When the habits of these two loops are balanced, we observe intelligence
and life. It is what Peice calls the entelechy or the "perfect sign".
If the habit of the loop Phi becomes too strong, it suffocates the period
bellow and we observe the diminishing of the novelty in semeiosis, up to
the point we have only cristalized spacetime (the vacuum, for instance). On
the other hand, if the "habit of habit breaking" becomes predominant as to
dissolve the "habit of  habit taking", we have the rapid growth of entropy
and homogenization (an explosion, for instance). In neither cases life and
intelligence is possible. A gradient between the two extremes would account
for anything we can observe.

The same goes to the periods above.

Using some formation rules, I was able to extract from the solenoid all 66
possible classes of signs. It would be too complicated to explain it in
this short outline, but you can have a hint of how it works by figuring out
how I define the representamen (S, or the sign itself) caught in semeiosis.
Whenever S and FI (final interpretant) are both qualities, we have
qualisigns. Whenever both S and FI are secondness, we have sinsigns.
Whenever both S and FI are thirdness, we have legisigns.

Degenerations are acconted when we have different categories in S and FI.
For instance, if S is thirdness and FI is secondness, we have replicas
(wich are secondness of thirdness).

With some similar rules, I correctly get Peirce's 10 genuine classes of
signs in the same relation they appear in Peirce's famous triangle (they
are pictured in bold in my periodic table), and then expand them to 66
classes based on all their possible degenerations.

Basically, that's what the solenoid is about.

Vinicius

Vinicius Romanini, Ph.D.
Professor of Communication Studies
School of Communications and Arts