It's nice to theorize about Chinese and other societal modes of reciprocation
based on what one learned in courses some three (or more) decades ago, but as
someone who spent seven weeks in China in mid 1998 traveling all over the
country after giving some lectures at Rinbin (People's) University in Beijing
at the invitation of the head of the sociology institute who I had met when I
invited him to speak at my university where we had Chinese students from the
PRC for some years as well as from Taiwan and faculty from Taiwan including one
PhD from Michigan (in demography) in my department twice as  a visitor who I
got to know well, not to mention visiting and being involved with many Chinese
in Toronto when I taught  there including a fellow faculty member from China
who I had known as a student in the US as well as on in innumerable visits to
family in Toronto and suburbs and visiting people's homes in China in Beijing
and smaller cities, visiting locations in China with one other American and a
Chinese student as interpreter, traveling backpack on Chinese transport of all
types from tiny mini bus to regular bus, train, airplane and river boat to huge
cities Beijing,  Shanghai, Chungching, Nanjing,some then moderate size cities
Xian, Wuhan, Suchow ... as well as tiny isolated villages in the countryside;
in all size places often people did not want to sit or stand next to "white"
foreigners. I have often been given small gifts or tokens or meals with no form
of reciprocation or favor expected or any form of bribe to expedite acceptance
or assistance in obtaining admission to a university or other position I could
help them obtain.
I have been given small cultural tokens after students I had taught or
befriended during their study here -- students from the US, China, Korea,
Chile, Austria, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Sweden that had no relation to any
population size of the location where I met them or taught them.  So much for
theoretical concepts as permanent rules on a list service devoted to Charles S.
Peirce.

Harold L. Orbach
Emeritus, Kansas State University

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 10, 2014, at 2:25 PM, "Edwina Taborsky"