Jon,list,

As always, thanks for your responses and hints.

I worked into the following paragraphs a bit and searched for some cycles and
conjugacy classes to make sense of

"I + J + K  =  1 + L + M."

It seems that "I + J + K" is the class of interchanges or conversions. " L + M"
are a class of 2-cycle decompositions.  The number "1" returns it to b.  In
fact "b" is the 3rd conjugacy class; ie. the identity element.  I had hunted
for ways to partition and count within a group of 5.

I am trying to make sense of the idea of "2 + 2 +1" since I came up earlier
with "2+1+1+1."  I will leave it be for now.  I may have taken:

b= f(I (J (K))) and counted the composition (recursive) as "1+1+1" and then
counted L + M as "2." Mistake.

As far as "reduction" goes, I have been looking for "things that you can and
cannot do" (and why) for n< or = 3. That may be an odd principle of method.
Nevertheless...........Quine!

Jim W