Helmut, List,

I wasn't completely sure about the meaning of your question:

• "Are interpretants an own class?"

Is "own" a translation of "eigen" maybe?

At any rate I went with my best guess and took you to be
asking whether interpretants (and the other two classes)
were ontologically distinctive in some way.  I rewrote my
last reply as a blog post with this interpretation in mind:

• Relations & Their Relatives : 9
( http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2015/06/19/relations-their-relatives-9/ )

Please let me know if my reading of your sense is right or not.

Regards,

Jon

On 6/18/2015 6:51 PM, Helmut Raulien wrote:
Supplement: On the other hand, even if interpretants are not an own class (or is
the word "domain"?), their representations in a mind may well be, and certainly
are. So- triadicity is rescued for me, I now think.
>
Dear Jon, Peircers,
I am wondering whether, mathematically spoken, there really are 3-adic relations
in semiotics. An interpretant is a 2-adic relation (between representamen and
object). But are interpretants an own class? Or are they a common class with
representamens (syntactic domain)- or are some of them so, while others (the
final interpretants) re-enter into the domain of objects? And: to regard the
three sets objects, representamens, interpretants, doesnt this regarding (action
of a mind) mean that they are represented? And doesnt  representation by a mind
mean, that these representations are all objects, other than the represented?
So: Is the triadic relation between representamen, object and interpretant
possibly a relation between three objects? In this case, it is not triadic: It
is a 2-adic relation between the set of objects, and the same set of objects- at
least reducible to this, I suspect. On the other hand one might say: The objects
of a mind are divided into three classes: Representations of representamens,
objects, and interpretants. Three classes mean 3-adicity. But then there is the
problem again that I have mentioned: Are interpretants an own class?
Best,
Helmut

--

academia: http://independent.academia.edu/JonAwbrey
my word press blog: http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/
inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
isw: http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/JLA
oeiswiki: http://www.oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey
facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache
-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to