Jim, List,

I'll have to hunt up where we left off with that.
I remember looking at the text several times and
checking the textual apparatus for any clue, but
could not make hide nor hair of it.

Back when I had a bigger university library nearby
I once spent a couple of years reeling through the
microfilm edition of Peirce's Nachlass all for the
sake of a problem like this, and sometimes I found
errors in transcription at the root of the problem,
but that was back in the days of CP and there were
many places where Peirce's typography could not be
preserved by the typesetter.

Or it could just be a mistake ...

Regards,

Jon

On 6/19/2015 12:36 PM, Jim Willgoose wrote:
Hello Jon, list (puzzle below for experts)

I got blown well downwind into conjugacy classes with the 1880 AOL ch. 3.  At 
the time, I was trying to make sense of
the continuity of ch.3 with the previous chapters and also the forward 
historical development of relation logic.

I was struck by the questions what am i counting and combining and how many 
objects are there? Logic, in one sense,
got lost somehow. Recently it occurred to me that there are only two objects.

But the thread ran out of gas, as far as I am concerned, not only for lack of 
interest, but for the fact that there
never was a satisfactory explanation of the following:

W4 p.198 I + J + K = 1 + L + M but does not imply (I + J + K)l = (1 + L + M)l

Why? What does this mean?

Jim W


--

academia: http://independent.academia.edu/JonAwbrey
my word press blog: http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/
inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
isw: http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/JLA
oeiswiki: http://www.oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey
facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache
-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to