Stephen -
I believe Peirce argued that "pragmatism" is incorporated into genes during
evolution.  If so, then instincts are purposeful/efficient without intervention
by others or instruction on "how to be."

STEPHEN:  "The idea of instinct as somehow hardwired into the DNA is a red
herring that is not falsifiable."

Falsifiable?  You have already agreed to the DNA part ("... a body built to do
these things"), so the next step is to test whether anything ADDITIONAL is
required for instinctual behavior to be exhibited.

If a bird's egg is taken out of the nest and the bird is raised by humans
without special attention beyond feeding, it does not receive the care,
training and social contact that other birds receive.  Then when the bird is
sufficiently mature, if you drop it from a height of (say) 20 feet, it will
fly.

Some plants make tiny movements throughout the day to "follow" the sun across
the sky.  This occurs regardless of a contact with other plants.  Next, switch
the light source to a stationary bulb, and the same plant will stop moving
throughout the day.  This occurs regardless of contact with other plants.  The
effect is the same for all plants of the same species.

I interpret such behaviors as evidence that instincts are DNA based, then
triggered by a stimulus from the environment.  These effects are independent of
socialization or contact with others of the species, including a parent.

Regards,
Tom Wyrick