Tom - see my replies below:
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Thomas
  To: Stephen C. Rose
  Cc: Edwina Taborsky ; <peirce-l@list.iupui.edu>
  Sent: Sunday, July 19, 2015 8:02 PM
  Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Instinct and emotion

  Stephen, Edwina, List ~

  I agree that instinct leads to physical activity (though sometimes inside the
body where it can't be seen).  But it is triggered by environmental changes.
That is the standard definition of instinct.  It is not so much an
"inclination" as "who you are" in a certain environment.  But you may never
encounter that environment, so you would never know.

  I do believe we have a socializing instinct, because we were part of someone
else before birth and closely tended to for several years after birth, often in
the presence of siblings.  We therefore perceive living with others as the
norm.

  EDWINA: We have a socializing instinct, not simply because we were part of
someone else before birth - and that IS valid, but because our knowledge base
is almost entirely learned. Therefore, as a species, we MUST be social or we
are unable to live. That is, without language, without learning
how-to-get-food; how to build shelter etc...we would not survive as a species.

  So this instance raises the possibility that instincts are gene-based *except
in one case:  where the mother (i.e., a loving, attentive mother) is involved.
Then, genes and baby/infant emotions both originate from the same source -- so
their effects (in the child) are blended and confound analysis.  In that case I
don't have a firm opinion.  My *guess: we have socialization instincts (genes)
AND socialization habits learned during infancy AND emotional feelings related
to other people (community) shaped by the infant experience (with
mother+father).

  EDWINA: The socialization instinct is genetic; the socialization habits are
learned - because our species alone of all species, has the capacity to change
its technological attributes by which it interacts with the environment.
  Emotion is a basic requirement for developing and using socialized
habits/knowledge.

  Officially, though, instincts are hard-wired into us (DNA), and do not have a
community trigger -- unless the community alters the environment.  Individuals
isolated from their communities have the same instincts:  drop a young bird
from a tree that never met another bird, and it will flap its wings and fly.

  Regards,
  Tom Wyrick