  From: Stephen Jarosek
  To: 'Clark Goble' ; 'Peirce-L'
  Sent: Friday, October 16, 2015 10:24 PM
  Subject: RE: Open axiomatic frameworks (was: [PEIRCE-L] A Second-Best
Morality)

  Paradoxically, I actually owe Dawkins for my divergence into semiotics. As a
university student, I was plodding along within the context of the mainstream
“it’s all in the selfish genes” narrative for some considerable time until I
discovered memetics. That got me thinking first in terms of imitation as a
fundamental principle not just for humans but for any organism, including cells
and neurons, and developed on from there. It was very innovative for Dawkins to
introduce memetics into the narrative. It’s unfortunate that he never developed
it further than that.

  Animism may have been common, but the anthropocentrism seating the human form
in the image of god at the centre of the universe is not very helpful, and has
held us back... contrast this Occidental anthropocentrism against Buddhism. A
Copernican scale of revolution in the life sciences is long overdue.

  sj