> On Nov 24, 2015, at 10:14 AM, Edwina Taborsky <tabor...@primus.ca> wrote:
>
> No, a belief can be a 'Dicent Symbolic Legisign' where the
> output/Interpretant is in a mode of Secondness; this would be a minor premise
> - which is a belief. [2-3-3]. Or a rhematic indexical legisign [1-2-3]..where
> the Interpretant is in a mode of Firstness.
>
> I didn't say that a belief was pure secondness [2-2-2].

OK, I certainly don’t deny that. I’d say that’s still a type of thirdness in
each of those cases as they are all classes of signs. That’s what I meant by "a
particular belief is always still thirdness although it may have an aspect of
secondness to it.”

In any particular discussion of something in the world firstness, secondness
and thirdness are all active. Even signs will have feeling and action
associated with them.

My point is more that a habit as a habit is general in that it has an essential
feature of replicability. That is a habit must always include, if only
potentially, the ability to repeat.

Now getting back to reversibility I suspect what we’re really talking about is
acquiring habits or a second order habit. What Peirce called the habit of
taking habits. In a certain sense habits aren’t reversible since if they are
reversed by definition they are not longer called a habit. Perhaps that’s all
Peirce means although my sense is he means something deeper.

It seems undeniable though that Peirce accepted habits (and belief) could
become stronger or weaker. He didn’t see them only as becoming stronger.

After thinking about this quote in 8.318 I suspect he simply means the habit of
taking a particular habit makes it stronger until it’s permanent. The habit of
rejecting a particular habit does the opposite until the habit is destroyed.
One has to assume a middle ground as well although perhaps it’s just accidence
he doesn’t deal with that in the quote in question.